20th - 23rd July 2015
Nanotechnology is the study and application of matter on a scale smaller than a billionth of a metre.
Cutting across many exciting disciplines, it explores the manipulation of atoms and molecules to produce astonishing products like cars that never
need polishing or self-adjusting sunscreen.
What will I be doing?
• Encountering the extraordinary concepts involved in nanotechnology
• Exploring the incredible ‘nanoworld’ using world class electron microscopes and scanning probe microscopes to ‘see’ individual atoms and molecules
• Attending masterclasses on subjects including bionanotechnology and carbon nanotubes
• Taking a tour inside the nanotechnology cleanroom to see the equipment and techniques used to make nanoscale devices
• Experimenting with nanoparticles and investigating their unique properties
• Making biosensors and seeing the part that nanotechnology can play in healthcare
• Tackling a nanotechnology team challenge, involving research, discussion and imagination, and presenting your conclusions at the end of the week
• Building your confidence, time management, problem solving and team skills
• Enhancing your CV and making your UCAS application stand out
The Smallpeice Trust reserves the right to cancel or change any aspect of a course without notice.